Today we visited our cottage, checked on the progress, and had to make some calls about where lights, outlets, ovens, and stuff like that would go. For anybody who has done a build from the ground up you know that they cannot insulate the house, until all the electrical and plumbing are in. While we were there we also made some decisions on what the kitchen counter top will be, along with the shape and style of the doors, door handles and cabinet pulls. All in all it was a super productive few hours and when I climb onto the plane on Saturday I will leave here feeling 1000% confident, that not only has the build been done excellently thus far, but the remainder of it will be executed as brilliantly. Unlike the Toronto build, which we had mediation for yesterday, to once and for all settle the lawsuit against all the people involved in that fiasco. We had to sign a confidentiality agreement so I cannot speak of it, but I can say this; I’m pleased with the outcome and it is one huge stress off my plate, and in the rear view mirror of my life.
And I’m thankful. But not as thankful as I am that this build, this General Contractor and our builder feel like they were sent from heaven. Given all the troubles we had with the crew who did our bathrooms in our LA house, it is a well deserved break in the Yanny and Shantilly renovation chronicles.
But I digress, this is not the point of today’s blog, the point is I’m supposed to let you know what we would do in the WWYDW scenario: to cut the tree down or not. I shared that the biggest issue of our cottage life and build is one lone pine tree that is blocking our water and sunset views, and we’re struggling with whether or not to cut it down. We had hoped that by standing on the deck, looking out the windows down toward the lake today that we might be hit with a concrete, clear cut decision about what to do with the tree. But we weren’t. Instead we’re a little bit more confused than before, and the reason for this is because there is other landscaping that needs to be done to make the ground all around the cottage level now that the structure is up. In doing this there will be a few other tree casualties along the way. Which makes us even more hesitant to touch the one at the water front.
So for now, Yannick and I have decided that we will leave the tree be. We will wait until we get up there and spend more time living with the tree, we’ll check with the township to see how they feel about whether the tree stays or goes, and what other areas on the property we can add trees in its place. Which means there is no response from us what we would do in this scenario, therefore I promise to keep you all posted about What We Do With the tree; and always your responses and input have been awesome. Thank you for weighing in.